21st Century Dating

I want to write a book, but it appears that in order to do this, you have to either be very imaginative (J.K. Rowling), very clever (Janet Evanovich), or very expert...in something. The only thing I'm expert in, aside from bartending and losing my day job, is dating. I figure I've been at it for more than 20 years, so I must have something of substance to say about it, right? And I’m sure you do too, so please…weigh in as often as you like. Welcome to 21st Century Dating!

Monday, August 08, 2005

Hi, I'm Married. Can I Call You Sometime?

I am hoping this blog doesn't turn into "How To Attract a Married Man 101,” but that’s what seems to be happening recently. The latest entry in the race to cheat on his wife comes in the form of a guy named Joe who’s a frequent guest at the restaurant where I am tending bar for the moment, until I a) write that book I keep talking about and make millions, or b) secure yet another “real job” doing marketing, which is what I’ve been trained to do, and what, in theory, constitutes my "career" (hahahahahaha that's a good one!).

There’s a bit of a backstory behind Joe. Although I'd never met him prior to 10 days ago, I’d heard of him before. Roughly five years ago, when I was living in Colorado, my friend Kim emailed me about this single guy Joe she wanted to introduce me to next time I was in Jersey. She raved about him…said he was a power boater (like her husband Danny), tall and good looking, and oh yeah, he owned a successful construction business. In other words, he has everything a woman could want (well, according to Kim).

Long story short, that meeting never panned out, but fast-forward five years, and here I am working in a restaurant located in the same Jersey Shore town as the construction business. I’m stationed at the outside beach bar, and there’s a large party of about 15 people downing cocktails like nobody’s business, ring-led by a tall bald guy with glasses. He’s a little loaded himself, but friendly and a decent tipper.

We get to chatting, and it turns out he’s Joe Of The Construction Company, so of course I had to tell him the story about how we “almost met.” He thought it was amusing, and I said, “So, are you still single?” And he said, “Nope, sorry to say…too bad we didn’t meet back then.” I said, “Oh well, story of my life.” He went on to talk about how he got married one year ago this month and is excitedly awaiting the birth of his first baby this Christmas Day.

It turns out that Joe comes into my bar quite often, so over my next few shifts I see him here and there, and he’s always very friendly and nice. Tonight was no exception. I passed by him at the hostess stand and shouted a quick hello, and he stopped me, took my hand and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, a common greeting here in NJ even if you don’t know the person too well or if you’re just casually acquainted.

Later, I bumped into him near the inside bar, and I made some small talk about when he and his wife will find out their baby's gender. I guess he quickly grew bored of that topic, as he switched gears entirely and asked, “So…can I have your cell phone number?” I glared at him and said, “Surely you’re joking. What are you talking about?” He just winked at me in response, and I said in a rather appalled tone, “Oh, Jeez, you too? You’re the second married man to hit on me this week!” and walked away in disgust.

So here’s yet another quality married guy. He not only has the nerve to request my phone number, but he does it WHILE HIS WIFE IS IN THE OTHER ROOM! Who, by the way, is PREGNANT! Again, I just have to ask…WTF?!?!?

This happens much too often for it to be me. Not only that, but I wasn’t exactly looking hot and sexy with my bartender golf shirt, khaki shorts, hair back in a bun, and makeup melting off my face.

Guys, I have to know…is it simply the thrill of the chase that instigates this kind of behavior in married men? Did he suddenly freak out one day and go, “Oh my God, I only get to stick my dick into one woman for the rest of my life…red alert! Battle stations! MUST. FIND. ANOTHER. WILLING. PUSSY. NOW.”

I’ve really gotta know. Answers, anyone?

11 Comments:

  • At Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Jersey Girl, actually I don’t want to write about Hi, I'm Married. Can I Call You Sometime? but last time while surfing the web for online dating I found http://photo-personals-search.com and I think it’s very nice because you can meet singles from your city and rate their photos as they can rate yours. It’s very cool for me.

     
  • At Wednesday, December 14, 2005 9:36:00 PM, Blogger -blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said…

    I dunno what to tell youse, but if it's God's will, then, His will be done. I suffer from a head-injury. So, if I can write, you most certainly can. Take a lookit this ... Gotta lotta say. I was only a naïve 19 when I began… and finished my novel with a plethora of extremely helpful insights which you may have not yet realized; engrossing wit, sardonic satire; and basically straight-forward-Jesus that’d make anyone cognizant this is only a test of our Finite Existence. For we alone decide which Eternity to go to, Upstairs or DownTown, because we alone have free-choice. Thus, God Almighty respects U.S. when we arrive at the Final Judgment because sHe loves U.S.

    Phazers on stun. I talk of a Heavenly Scent, an ardent desire with the whiff of a definite locale, while I bolster the mean, Great Beyond with the passion of a magnanimous madman: Full of some gorgeous, panoramic, tall-true-tales making U.S. yearn and sigh for Heaven Above; A novel of short-stories, quotes, prayers, poetry, hardcore-heartbreaking-hilarity, aggressive conundrums, Salvador-Dali-homily, and some savvy-MHz, avant-garde, Phat-Boy-Christianity from a severely, head-injured Catholic you might call crazy. That’s, uh, all very well-N-good... but, yet, who ever said YOU were sane? Touché? After this is all over, I expect Him to edit my theoretical cranium. I seeeriously doubt He will, though. Jesus loves the crazies who aren’t necessarily conformed by what others think.

    What you’ll find in my wonderful, fruitFULL, dynamic novel is an indelible treasure, unlike any other in the known cosmos. It’s by moi. And I’m one-of-a-kind. Not bragging, brudda. He threw away the mold. ONE o’me is plenty HeeHee If you decide to read this delicious script, get in touch with my CPA, Edward Foree, at 1-785-266-9111. Out this month. Poifect for both X-mass and/or evangelism!

    GOD BLESS YOU WITH DISCERNMENT!!

     
  • At Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:23:00 AM, Blogger roclin said…

    John, hope all is well with your" match" search.
    Maybe you can find looking for "careers" or jobs at www.directmatch4free.com
    Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

     
  • At Monday, January 02, 2006 4:33:00 PM, Blogger roclin said…

    Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
    since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
    Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!

     
  • At Sunday, January 29, 2006 6:47:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What an interesting blog you have. I often search the web for articles about love and dating and I found this one. As for swinger adult personals there�s a site for singles at http://top-personals.net, take a look.

     
  • At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 8:09:00 AM, Blogger roclin said…

    Hey international friends! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the dating service maybe endless. Maybe I will have a better keyword, searching for match maker since my keyword "instant" did not fit as intended.
    Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!

     
  • At Monday, February 04, 2008 10:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    could I get a copy of the Smithereens video in any way shape or form?

     
  • At Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:21:00 AM, Blogger Faith said…

    Maybe you're just really easy to talk to. That sucks though. I hope you find a nice normal guy!

     
  • At Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:08:00 PM, Blogger Traveliia - Plan your next trip said…

    Good article...

    Visit Lets-Meetup.com .. Dating for Single Professionals

    Lets-meetup.com is a new social networking/professional networking/online dating site designed for busy local professionals.

    www.Lets-Meetup.com

     
  • At Thursday, January 29, 2009 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Traveliia - Plan your next trip said…

    Good article...

    Visit Lets-Meetup.com .. Dating for Single Professionals

    Lets-meetup.com is a new social networking/professional networking/online dating site designed for busy local professionals.

    www.Lets-Meetup.com

     
  • At Friday, February 13, 2009 7:00:00 AM, Blogger Nick Jones said…

    We are a Hexpress Pharmacy Affiliate Program developed for Online Marketing professionals worldwide. We are a pay per sale type of program offering high commissions, high quality sites and convenient & top payout plans for our Affiliates partners.
    “Deals with the treatment of Impotence, Obesity, Baldness, Influenza, Smoking Cessation, FSD, Sexual Health, and Skin Care”
    http://hexpressaffiliates.blogspot.com
    http://www.hexpress.net/affiliate/affsignup.php

     

Post a Comment

<< Home